Saturday, August 22, 2009

One month later....

So I suck at this weekly thing.

Recently, much hasn't been to crazy. Been working more and writing more. Went on a trip to Montana which was nice and I even gambled a little.

Well onto the review. I know this movie is old but I just recently got the chance to see it.

This time we journey once again with Sacha Baron Cohen in Bruno. Boy o boy where do I even begin with Bruno. The first thing I want to say is I actually enjoyed Bruno. It had some really funny moments and I also liked Borat before it. Now onto the actual review. Bruno is another movie in which Sacha Baron Cohen takes on a ridiculous persona in order to unearth the ignorance of some people. This time its Austrian gay fashion show host Bruno. This movie is a pretty good comedy. If you are expecting the same thing as Borat be warned, Bruno is more shocking and the character is much more developed surprisingly. You actually get a feel for the character of Bruno and at some times you forget that its Baron Cohen in costume. But one problem with the movie is the fact that a lot of it seems staged. This doesn't take away from the movie itself seeing as there are a few events that had to have been real.

I have to give props to Baron Cohen for being able to be threatened by people and not break character for one second. It is also interesting how this movie tries to send a message. It shows how ignorant and homophobic some people can be and then turns around and makes fun of being gay 2 minutes later. Some of the segments are setup to show how many people in this world are afraid of gay people, while many others are just shown to see how far Baron Cohen can push people before the start throwing fists at him. Also, for those of you who haven't seen Borat be warned this movie is built on shock humor and there is plenty of nudity. I say this because I took my girlfriend and she hadn't seen Borat, so she was in for a surprise.

Altogether I say this is still a fun entertaining movie. I just don't think it is a comedic revolution like the media has been saying. But I would say it is on par with Borat. I give this movie a B+.

Well hopefully I can get around to seeing more movies soon. District 9 is next on my list. Until next time. - Ko

0 comments:

Post a Comment